There’s a saying that goes ‘eyes are the windows to your soul’, so proper attention should be given to them. Now if you wear glasses that means you have extra work to do when it comes to caring for your eyes. These are tips to help take care of your eye’s. It’s definitely a must-read for you.
Here are a few tips for eye and vision care, to help you maintain good eye health while wearing glasses.Never lie flat on your back while reading. Try to hold the book 30 cm away from your eyes.
- Take a 5-10 minute break while reading to rest your eyes. You can also relax your eyes by looking at a distant object at least 6 meters away.
- Never take sharp or pointed objects close to your eyes as they may cause irreversible damage to your eyes.
- Always use protective goggles while handling chemicals, and be careful not to bring them close to your eyes.
- Never read with a dim light as this could lead to eye strain.
- Avoid reading while in motion (like in a moving train or bus) as this could cause motion sickness.
- Always follow the instructions of your optometrist when it comes to using glasses or contact lenses.
- Always try to watch TV from a distance of 6 to 10 feet.
- While working with reflective surfaces like computer screens, use glasses with an anti-reflective coating to avoid the glare and prevent eye strain.
- While riding/driving please wear protective spectacles or sunglasses as there is a risk of a foreign body (such as grit or even a flying insect) entering your eye.
- Always opt for polarized lenses to cut reflected glare. Normal sunglasses will reduce the intensity of the sunlight.
- Always use anti-reflective coated lenses to increase your clarity of vision.
- Control your blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
- Protect your eyes from UV light by wearing sunglasses that screen 99-100 percent of ultraviolet A and B rays.
- Eat a low-fat diet filled with green, leafy vegetables rich in carotenoids.
- The principal danger is in the form of ultraviolet (UV) radiation. UV radiation is a component of solar energy and artificial sources such as welding machines and lasers.
- Stop smoking
Get a regular checkup by your optometrist or ophthalmologist, even in the absence of an eye problem, a thorough eye examination is important. It is always good to monitor your eye health, so you can maintain good vision and keep up to date with new technology.